Article Archives >> To the Point

I am a board member for a high school aquatics booster club and I am wondering how to go about getting replacement proof of our 501(c)(3) filing/status for fundraising purposes. We have a tax id# but I need proof of our current tax-exempt nonprofit status.

If you need official confirmation, you can check Publication 78 at the IRS website online. That publication lists most of the organizations that qualify as tax exempt. To get another copy of an exemption letter, write to the IRS.

If you find the IRS website intimidating or less than user friendly, you can also get confirmation by going to Guidestar has information and Form 990 tax information returns on most charities in the country. If you have been filing annual tax returns (other than the 990-N), they will probably be shown on the Guidestar website.  If you haven't been filing any returns at all, you may have lost your exempt status.  The Pension Protection Act of 2006 provides that most exempt organizations that fail to file a required tax return for three years in a row automatically lose their exempt status.  The first list of groups that have lost their exempt status should be released sometime in 2011.

Rev. 5/6/11

Article Archives >> To the Point

Nonprofit Mergers, Acquisitions and Affiliations

Pre-recorded Webinar -
Listen Today

With pressure mounting on nonprofits to consider affiliations with other organizations, this workshop is designed to help you better navigate the world of mergers, acquisitions and affiliations. Unlike the corporate world, there are no financial "matchmakers" to help nonprofits identify successful partners for a merger. Learn more in our pre-recorded webinar.

Receive the weekly question by e-mail

Sign up and receive FREE:

Weekly question and answer

Notice of each full edition
and its free stories

Report on 501(c)(3) electioneering


What our readers say about Nonprofit Issues

Once again you've tackled a tricky question and explained it so we all can understand the issue.--M.V.

Thank you for your informative and keen advice on nonprofit matters. I believe it's a unique and concise place to get answers to this often wispy area called nonprofit. --R.T.


Have a question?

If you can't find your answer, submit a question and Don will pick one question a week to answer online and to include in our weekly e-mail notice.

Other ways to
find answers:

Talk to the Editor
Next Conference Call:
Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Participate in this bi-monthly telephone seminar conference call and ask your questions directly to Editor Don Kramer.

Access the entire site
($9.95/24 hours, $17.95/3 months).


Nonprofit Issues Live
Full Day Program
A well-received full-day program that covers the current hottest topics in nonprofit law. Qualifies in Pennsylvania for Continuing Education credits.

Speaking Engagements
Don is available for programs and speaking engagements ranging from a one-hour presentation to a full-day primer on nonprofit law. Contact us if you are interested in having him speak at your program.

None of the information on the Nonprofit Issues Website should be deemed legal advice or
should be acted upon without prior consultation with appropriate professional advisors.
Materials prepared by Nonprofit Issues contained in these pages is copyrighted by Nonprofit Issues, Inc., 2009-2012.

Home | Article Archives | Ready Reference | Ask the Editor | Bookstore | About Us

Change Profile/Password
Subscribe or Renew

Free E-notice

Nonprofit Issues, Inc.
P.O. Box 482
Dresher, PA 19025
(215) 542-7547 FAX (215) 542-7548

E-mail Us