Article Archives >> To the Point

How do you find out if an organization has 501 (c)(3) status in your state or another state?

I am not sure what you mean by 501(c)(3) status in a state.  The 501(c)(3) charitable status is a federal status that means the organization does not have to pay tax on its surplus income and that individuals and corporations may claim a charitable contribution deduction for contributions made to it.  501(c)(3) charities have that status for federal purposes no matter where they operate within the United States.

If you want to check the federal status, it is possible to check on line at, which contains the Form 990 tax information returns for most charities in the country but is not an official list, or on the IRS website, which provides the official list. The most direct way, of course, is to ask the organization. If it is a charity and files a Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-N, or 990-PF tax information return, it is obligated to give you a copy. (See Ready Reference Page: “Tax Exempts Must Provide Applications, Returns.”)

If you want to check whether the organization is registered to solicit charitable contributions in one of the 39 states or the District of Columbia that require many charities to register before soliciting, you can go to the website of the state charity regulator and you may be able to determine whether it has registered. 

Rev: 1/19/2010

Article Archives >> To the Point

Legal Issues in Volunteer Involvement:
Maximizing the Benefits, Minimizing the Risks

Pre-recorded Webinar -
Listen Today

This pre-recorded webinar discusses: risk management and the organization's liability for the acts of volunteers; legal responsibilities in screening and placing volunteers; liability for harm to volunteers; applicability of volunteer protection statutes and workers' compensation statutes; insurance coverage and indemnification issues; applicability of employment discrimination laws; and more. The session also discusses confidentiality, protection of intellectual property, volunteer contracts, and ways to minimize risk through training and supervision. Learn to balance the risk of possible problems against the risk of turning away valuable volunteer support.

Learn More

Receive the weekly question by e-mail

Sign up and receive FREE:

Weekly question and answer

Notice of each full edition
and its free stories

Report on 501(c)(3) electioneering


What our readers say about Nonprofit Issues

Once again you've tackled a tricky question and explained it so we all can understand the issue.--M.V.

Thank you for your informative and keen advice on nonprofit matters. I believe it's a unique and concise place to get answers to this often wispy area called nonprofit. --R.T.


Have a question?

If you can't find your answer, submit a question and Don will pick one question a week to answer online and to include in our weekly e-mail notice.

Other ways to
find answers:

Talk to the Editor
Next Conference Call:
Thursday, August 7, 2014

Participate in this bi-monthly telephone seminar conference call and ask your questions directly to Editor Don Kramer.

Access the entire site
($9.95/24 hours, $17.95/3 months).


Nonprofit Issues Live
Full Day Program
A well-received full-day program that covers the current hottest topics in nonprofit law. Qualifies in Pennsylvania for Continuing Education credits.

Speaking Engagements
Don is available for programs and speaking engagements ranging from a one-hour presentation to a full-day primer on nonprofit law. Contact us if you are interested in having him speak at your program.

None of the information on the Nonprofit Issues Website should be deemed legal advice or
should be acted upon without prior consultation with appropriate professional advisors.
Materials prepared by Nonprofit Issues contained in these pages is copyrighted by Nonprofit Issues, Inc., 2009-2012.

Home | Article Archives | Ready Reference | Ask the Editor | Bookstore | About Us

Change Profile/Password
Subscribe or Renew

Free E-notice

Nonprofit Issues, Inc.
P.O. Box 482
Dresher, PA 19025
(215) 542-7547 FAX (215) 542-7548

E-mail Us