This program was recorded on Friday, December 3, 2021.
Larry (a.k.a "Larry the lawyer") is a young associate in the trust and estates section of a local law firm. During his annual review, he mentioned to the managing partner that he would like to get more involved with the local community and help build his practice. The partner suggested that the lawyer could join the board of a local nonprofit and provided a list of local 501(c)(3) public charities.
- How should Larry go about determining which board to join?
- Does his letter to the board saying that he will not serve as counsel or provide legal advice prevent him from having an attorney-client relationship with the organization? Or prevent him from fulfilling his fiduciary duty as a director?
- What should Larry do when his own firm is threatening to sue the organization?
- What should Larry do when the Executive Director, his friend and former client, is accused of sexually harassing an employee?
- What should Larry do when he finds out that the Executive Director has been stealing from the organization?
These and other ethical issues facing a lawyer on the board of a nonprofit will be discussed with a panel of attorneys with a wide range of experience representing and serving on the boards of nonprofit organizations. Will your answers to the questions be the same as theirs?
This virtual program is presented by the Public Interest Law Section of the Florida Bar Association and co-sponsored by Nonprofit Issues®. Nonprofit Issues Editor Don Kramer will moderate the discussion with a panel consisting of Phil DiComo, Nason Yeager Gerson Harris & Fumero; Jennifer Gomez, Wild Felice & Partners; Daniela Cimo, Legal Services of Greater Miami; and Kathleen S. McLeroy of Carlton Fields.
The program has been organized by Jeffrey Fromknecht, of Lawyers for Nonprofits, a lawyer licensed in Florida and Pennsylvania and an annual participant in Nonprofit Issues' webinar series.
The program will qualify for one hour of ethics CLE credit in Pennsylvania.
Subscribers must be logged-in to receive this discount.