You are here

Who must be informed of name change?

Your Legal Questions Answered

Who must be informed of name change?

The organization of which I am treasurer is considering changing their corporate name. Who must be informed of this change?

After you file the name change with the corporate office in your state, you should notify the Internal Revenue Service so that you get a new recognition letter in the new name of the organization, any state office that has granted exemption from sales or other taxes, and the jurisdictions where you are registered to solicit for charitable contributions so that anyone checking on you will be able to find you.  Ultimately you will want to notify your bank, all of the businesses you deal with, and your broader constituency, perhaps in connection with a significant public relations campaign about the change.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Add new comment

Sign-up for our weekly Q&A; get a free report on electioneering