You are here

Fee for changing the name of a nonprofit?

Your Legal Questions Answered

Fee for changing the name of a nonprofit?

Is there a cost in changing the name of an established 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation? Also, what would the process be to change the name but keep the same Tax ID number?

Normally a change in name of a nonprofit corporation requires an amendment to the Articles or Certificate of Incorporation filed with the state. There is usually a modest filing fee involved. 
You will also have to notify the IRS when the change has been effected. A name change alone will not affect your tax-exempt status and will cause the IRS to associate your existing Tax ID number with your organization under its new name. You will also need to notify state taxing authorities and any state with which you are registered to solicit charitable contributions. There is normally no charge for these notifications.
Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Add new comment

Sign-up for our weekly Q&A; get a free report on electioneering