You are here

Insurance for nonprofits, what's needed?

Your Legal Questions Answered

Insurance for nonprofits, what's needed?

I have been told that a 501(c)(3) corporation needs to have insurance. What kind of insurance does a non-profit need?

Every organization, whether or not a 501(c)(3) charity, that is serious about conducting activities and wants to protect its corporate capacity and its volunteers and managers needs insurance. You probably start with required coverages such as workers’ comp, and add general liability and directors and officers insurance. But check with a broker who understands nonprofits and your type of business for a careful review of your risks and needs. (See Ready Reference Page: “Directors Often Fear Risks of Personal Liability.”)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Add new comment

Sign-up for our weekly Q&A; get a free report on electioneering