Very few people bother to look at their nonprofit bylaws – until they want to take some unusual action or there is a dispute. And that’s when you need bylaws that work!
Not bylaws that are open to several interpretations.
Not bylaws that describe the way things used to be done.
Not bylaws that fail to cover key power issues.
But bylaws that set out clear roles and responsibilities so that people can understand how to proceed, without litigation.
There is both art and science in drafting nonprofit bylaws that work. Well-written bylaws help shape power relationships within a nonprofit organization, provide unambiguous procedures to prevent disputes, and reduce the risks of litigation. They are the “Constitution” of a nonprofit corporation. They should provide answers, not raise questions.
This webinar will answer your questions and leave you with confidence in being able to recognize a workable set of governing instruments.
Come with questions; leave with understanding:
• Understand the relationship to articles of incorporation.
• Learn whether you should be a “membership” organization.
• Determine whether your bylaws answer the question: "whose organization is it?"
• Learn how to deal with ex officio directors.
• Learn how to deal with term limits.
• Learn how to deal with board committees.
• Learn the critical issues in removal clauses.
In a line by line review of sample articles of incorporation and bylaws, you will learn how to avoid aspirational language, inconsistent language, passive tense and ambiguities. Participants can raise their questions for immediate answers.
You will take home articles of incorporation and bylaws "annotated" with explanatory comments. You will also take home sample forms that work!
Presented by Don Kramer, Esq., Editor of Nonprofit Issues in partnership with the Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofit Organizations.
Here is what participants have said about past presentations of this webinar:
- Excellent, even for those who are Bylaws-savvy.
- I got what I needed to proceed with change and revisions.
- Well paced. Excellent speaker and materials.
- The sample bylaws are SO helpful.
- I have been involved in revising our bylaws for the last year. I wish I had [this webinar] a year ago!
- Exactly what I hoped, with added emphasis of keeping it simple, non-detailed and 'timeless.'
Not a current Nonprofit Issues subscriber? Purchase this webinar and receive a three-month introductory subscription for FREE
Can't join us on the 16th? Buy the recorded webinar at a discount now and listen at your convenience.
Participants will receive a package of materials from Nonprofit Issues® and will have the opportunity to ask questions during the presentation. Any number of persons may participate at the same location for the same low price.
This program is approved to provide continuing legal and continuing professional education credits for lawyers and accountants in Pennsylvania.
Subscribers must be logged-in to receive this discount.