This webinar will address the art and science of drafting nonprofit bylaws that work. Well-written and formulated bylaws help shape power relationships within a nonprofit organization, provide unambiguous procedures to prevent disputes, and reduce the risks of litigation. Bylaws should provide answers, not raise questions. Come with questions and leave with clarity and confidence in being able to recognize a workable document.
Here are some of the key issues that we will discuss:
· What should be included in your purpose clause, and why?
· When it makes sense to have a membership corporation.
· How to draft a membership clause that helps prevent a “take-over.”
· How to make the structure consistent with the question of “whose organization is it”?
· How to protect the interests of the critical players.
· How to deal with ex officio directors.
· How to write the most critical provision in the entire document.
· How to write term limits, if you have them, that can be understood by anyone.
· How to write the duties of officers so that they are not immediately in default.
· How to deal with appointment and removal of committees and their chairs.
· How to write indemnification and advancement of expense clauses to protect the organization.
· How to deal with conflict, whistleblower and other policies in the bylaws.
· How to relate the bylaws to the articles or certificate of incorporation.
In a line by line review of sample articles of incorporation and bylaws, you will learn how to avoid aspirational language, inconsistent language, passive tense and ambiguities. Participants can raise their questions for immediate answers.
You will take home articles of incorporation and bylaws “annotated” with explanatory comments. You will also take home sample forms that work.
Here is what participants have said about past presentations of this webinar:
- Excellent, even for those who are Bylaws-savvy.
- I got what I needed to proceed with change and revisions.
- Well paced. Excellent speaker and materials.
- The sample bylaws are SO helpful.
- I have been involved in revising our bylaws for the last year. I wish I had [this webinar] a year ago!
- Exactly what I hoped, with added emphasis of keeping it simple, non-detailed and 'timeless.'
Not a current Nonprofit Issues subscriber? Purchase this webinar and receive a three month introductory subscription for FREE
What is a webinar? A webinar is primarily a telephone conference call. We'll send you a phone number and access code to join the program. You can participate alone or gather people around your conference phone and ask your questions. In addition to the audio portion, you can also follow along on-line as we review a PowerPoint presentation.
Participants will receive a package of materials from Nonprofit Issues® and will have the opportunity to ask questions during the presentation. Any number of persons may participate at the same location for the same low price.
This program is approved to provide continuing legal and continuing professional education credits for lawyers and accountants in Pennsylvania.
Subscribers must be logged-in to receive this discount.